When it comes to taking care of your windows, knowing when to let them go is a must. Even the most well-kept windows will lose their effectiveness, leaving you with a new remodeling project on your hands. The good news is you can usually plan these out in advance barring emergency situations.
As you may have guessed, there are different factors that go into how long your windows will stand strong before they need replacing. However, you can still ballpark how long they should last, so you know when to start keeping a closer eye on them.
In this article, we’re going to dive a bit into:
- Lifespans of Common Window Materials
- When You Should Replace Your Windows
- How You Can Make Your Windows Last
Lifespans of Different Window Types
Different types of windows will have different projected lifespans, especially depending on where you live and how often you use them. Typically, window glass will last about 20 years before showing signs of deterioration whereas frames can last anywhere from 20-50 years or more!
Three of the most common window frame materials you will come across include fiberglass,
- Clad window frames combine the convenience of vinyl or fiberglass windows with the beauty of wood windows. These frames will typically last between 20 and 30 years.
- Fiberglass frames are highly energy efficient and aren’t as vulnerable against the elements and temperature shifts. They typically last anywhere from 20 to over 50 years.
- Metal window frames are highly durable and rust-resistant, making cleaning and maintenance a breeze. These types of windows typically last between 40 and 50 years.
- Vinyl is an affordable and low-maintenance window frame option that can stand strong against inclement weather. Their projected lifespan is 20-40 years.
- Wooden frames are more susceptible to weathering and damage, but they still can last a while with the right maintenance, averaging a lifespan of about 20 years.
In addition to material, what window style you have can also impact how long it will last. For example, a fixed picture window will probably outlast any ventilated alternative since it does not have any mechanisms that you need to use to operate them.
When to Replacement Your Current Windows
While you may not be able to predict the exact right time to replace your windows, you can keep an eye out for some common signs of deterioration. That way, you can resolve the issue as quickly as possible and not have to deal with the repercussions of outdated windows.
Some signs that it is time for new windows include:
- Visible Damage
- Inconsistent Energy Bills
- Increased Noise Infiltration
- Drafts & Leaks
- Difficulty Operating or Cleaning
What to Do to Extend the Lifespan of Your Windows
The best way to make your windows last longer is simply to take care of them. This includes cleaning them, re-caulking when you notice leaks, replacing window seals, repainting, avoiding water damage, and more. The best thing you can do is check them regularly, so you can nip any issues in the bud early on.
Reach Out to a Trusted Window Replacement Company to Learn More
Caring for your windows can sound like an overwhelming job, but it doesn’t have to be with the right team on your side. Since 2018, Shinnova has been that team for homeowners throughout the Kansas City area. Not only are we professional window replacement installers, but we’re trusted manufacturers, too!
That said, you can count on us to provide top-quality products for your home as well as ensure they are installed properly. Plus, we help you protect your investment with our window warranty, so you can have peace of mind when the time comes to work on them.
If you’re ready to learn more about window replacements, or you’re ready to start planning your own, reach out to our local team right away! You can either give us a call or use our online form to schedule a free consultation and get a quote today.
Subscribe to Shinnova Home's Blog